September 25, 2015
HOW DO YOU MEASURE A HOUSE? Points from an article by Attorney Robert Kutner:
There are many variables in the way square footage is obtained and there is no standard method for determining “gross living area.”
- Do you measure the full exterior foundation of a property or do you exclude the depth of the exterior walls?
- What does “gross living area” include?
- Are finished rooms like attics or porches included? What if the finished area is unheated?
- What about rooms where the floor area does not satisfy the minimum required ceiling height due to the slope of the roof?
- What about interior stairways?
- What about split-level or split-entry homes? Is the finished lower level counted?
- What about a lower-level walk-out where there are full sized windows and maybe and exterior door?
The assessor’s information provided on the field card is deemed reliable. In the case of a condominium, the master deed or unit deed generally provide square footage.