December 26, 2014
Here are excerpts from an article, The Housing Satisfaction Gap: “WHAT PEOPLE WANT BUT DON’T HAVE”, from the Demand Institute.
- Energy efficiency. 71% ranked it important but only 35% are satisfied. Spending on electricity is up 56% since 2000.
- Renovation Ready. 75% say their homes need repair. The top 5 improvement jobs identified were:
- Replacing carpet/flooring
- Remodeling baths
- Remodeling kitchen
- Replacing windows and doors
- Updated kitchens and finishes.
- The ability to age in place
- 1 in 5 Americans are unsatisfied with the cost of their living situation
- There is the perception that neighborhoods are less safe even though crime statistics are down.
- Greater storage.