June 6, 2014
7 Ways to Sell and Ugly Duckling House
From an article on MSN Real Estate
- Make it clean and clutter free
- Get rid of everything on the countertops and bathroom vanities
- Walk through your house with your real estate agent and a big cardboard box and start packing as you go.
- Remove anything that’s dirty or outdated.
- Have a cleaning crew come in.
- Consider new carpet and fresh paint
- Even an inexpensive paint job and commercial grade carpet can make a big difference.
- Stage it well
- Staging can go a long way if properly done.
- Buyer’s eyes go to the newness and away from the older nuances.
- Curb appeal counts.
- Price it to sell
- If your home isn’t perfect, you must price it accordingly
- Price it below the comparables
- Make it attractive to the buyer’s agent
- Offer an attractive commission
- Offer a bonus
- Be truthful in marketing
- Be honest in your disclosures, photos and marketing
- Give the pluses and minuses. The home inspector will find the defects.
- Hire the right agent
- A savvy agent can help you price your home, recommend contractors, and point buyers to financing opportunities like the FHA’s 203 (k) loan.