May 23, 2014
FIX IT OR NOT? WHAT TO ASK WHEN PREPPING YOUR HOME FOR SALE.
From an article by Laura Gaskill in Houzz
- How hot is the market in your area? It it’s a seller’s market, you may be able to get away with less, but if it’s a buyer’s market, start fixing.
- How fast are you looking to sell?
- What is the condition of comparable homes on the market? Examine photos or attend open houses. Are the kitchens updated? Are floors in good condition? Compare.
- Does the faulty item give the impression the property has not been well cared for?
- Can you find a less expensive fix? For instance, all comparable homes have updated kitchens. Can you get away with painting the cabinets, changing the hardware and upgrading the appliances?
- How much will you realistically need to lower the price if you don’t fix it?
- Is the “fix” one of the first things potential buyers will see? Remember the importance of first impressions.
- Could it be a deal breaker?