RIS Media had an interesting article by David Leopold of Pillar to Post Inspections on how home sellers should prepare for a home inspection:
- Home inspectors typically arrive 30-45 minutes prior to the appointment so they can set up and be ready to go. Sellers should be out of the house an hour before the appointment.
- The house should be clean and pets should be removed.
- If something isn’t working properly, don’t try to hide it – the inspector will find it and the buyers will be suspicious of what else you’re trying to hide.
- Make sure the attic and crawlspace hatches are identified and accessible. If the hatch is in a closet, remove clothes hanging below and items on the floor.
- Replace any blown bulbs.
- Leave a sketch of the septic and/or well location.
- Make sure your oven and stovetop are clear and clean.