February 17, 2012
Massachusetts Home Buyer/Home Seller Survey for 2011 from the National Association of Realtors reveals the following:
- The median age for home buyers is 42. 29% fell in the 25-34 range, 23% fell in the 35-44 age range, 19% fell in the 45-54 age range and 19% fell in the 55-64 age range.
- The median age of the home seller was 51
- 94% of buyers worked with a real estate professional
- The household median income of buyers is $89,700
- 43% were first time home buyers
- 86% of home buyers were born in the United States and 14% were not.
- 67% of home buyers were married couples, 14% were single females, 6% were unmarried couples, and 5% were “other”.
- The race/ethnicity of buyers broke into the following percentages: White-86%, Black-3%, Hispanic-2%, Asian-8%, Other-2%
- The average real estate professional is a 56 year old white female who attended college and is a homeowner.
- The average real estate professional in Massachusetts does 9 transactions/year while nationally, the average is 8 transactions/year.